Castelló d’Empúries was at its most splendid during the Middle Ages. In the 11th century, the Counts of Empúries set up residence and made it the capital of the region. The buildings found in the historic centre date from this era and have preserved their traditional appearance (narrow streets, arcaded squares, etc.).
Network of Jewish Quarters – Routes of Sefarad: By 1238 there was already an established Jewish community in Castelló d’Empúries, a Jewish quarter that became one of the most important in the region.
Wide range of cultural offerings:
- Museums: Mediaeval History Museum, Eco-Museum-Flour Mill, Parish Museum of the Basilica of Santa María.
- Monuments: Basilica of Santa María 12th – 18th centuries, the City Wall and Gate of La Gallarda 11th – 14th centuries, The Large House 15th century, Public Washing Place 14th century, Old Bridge 13th century, etc…
Our municipality includes the Aiguamolls de l’Empordà Natural Park, giving us the chance to enjoy wonderful scenery, discover the region’s flora and vegetation and observe truly exceptional wildlife.
A privileged location for betting to know the Alt Empordà region.
There are four Natural Parks in our surroundings:
- Aiguamolls de l’Empordà Natural Park.
- Cap de Creus Natural Park.
- L’Albera de l’Empordà Natural Park.
- Medes Islands Natural Park.
PLACES OF INTEREST AND SURROUNDINGS
- Monastery of Sant Pere de Rodes 10th – 12th centuries.
- Dalí Triangle Dalí Theatre-Museum (Figueres), House of Salvador Dalí (Portlligat) and the Gala Dalí Castle (Púbol).
- Ruins of Ampurias / Archaeological Museum.
- Girona and the 15th-century Jewish Quarter.
- Peralada Castle.
- Mediaeval Site of Besalú 11th – 15th centuries.
- Port de la Selva.
BEACHES AND COVES
The beaches and coves of the Alt Empordà are found all along the coastline from Portbou to Escala, all of them different (rocky, with fine sand, with pebbles, small, long, etc.), unique spots for relaxing and enjoying, picture-postcard corners.
The ideal setting for taking part in sporting and adventure activities, perfect for enjoying the region’s beautiful scenery with the family.
- Routes: Hiking, Cycle Tourism, Mountain Biking, etc.
- Golf course: Club de Golf Peralada Golf Club and Pitch&Putt in Castelló d’Empúries.
- Watersports: Sailing, rowing, surfing, kite-flying, diving, etc.
- Skydiving: Skydive Empuriabrava and Empuriabrava Wind Tunnel.
- September: Tierra de Trovadores. Mediaeval Festival.
- October: The Art Tour.
- July and August: Castillo de Peralada Music Festival, Sounds of the World Concerts.